Join the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) and have a future that matters: Be proud; Be challenged; Be unique.
To help achieve our objective of equipping Defence with a smaller, more efficient and better quality estate we are seeking motivated and suitably qualified Estates Surveyors to join established teams within our Estates Directorate network. Supporting Senior Surveyor’s, you will be responsible for delivering challenging and varied Estate surveying outputs, services and subject matter expert advice across all customers. The ability to work in a team will be key.
The Estate Surveyor Role is to advise and take forward property related management and transactions at a number of MOD establishments, to include: negotiations to grant and acquire new lease agreements; negotiate rent reviews; lease renewals and any other property related agreements; increase income from casual use and licence/lease agreements utilising spare capacity; advise on rationalisation opportunities including identification of potential disposals; respond to day to day property related enquiries and protecting the integrity of the defence estate. You will be acting both as landlord and tenant on our unique estate so variety is certain!
DIO adopt a smarter working policy: The post holder would be based out of their the main office location but has the flexibility to work out of other DIO Offices. All employees are provided with IT equipment to facilitate smarter working.
The posts can be worked out of any of the above named locations, please state your location preference
A relevant Estate Surveying degree or full Membership of an appropriate estates professional body (Associate RICS/MRICS/FRICS) is desirable but not essential.
• Deliver allocated programme to stakeholders and customers within their delegate budgets
• Provide comprehensive advise and estate management transactional and consultancy service to include lease renewals and terminations, rent reviews, hirings, lettings, valuations, minor disposals, damage claims, sustainability/environmental, byelaws and other estate services as required.
• Provide support to ensure effective stewardship of the Defence Estate
Subject Matter Expert (SME) Support to DIO
• Deliver timely and accurate SME input, advice and support to parliamentary, FOI, secretariat business and general inquiries
• Maintenance and completion of all records, and input into management data and reporting
• Provide estate consultancy and support to strategic programmes including estate rationalisation and reprovision opportunities
Leadership and Management within the Estates Division
• Manage their resources/team in accordance with the DIO Values
• Demonstrate a personal commitment to the DIO Values
• Provide leadership for the team/section and /or function
• Develop team members and assist Line Managers in delivering Departmental goals
• Ensure compliance with mandatory and professional training requirements
• Promote collaborative working practices with team and all stakeholders
• Assist Snr Estate Surveyor/functional manager in the development of a programme of LMS outputs and support together
• Assist Snr Estate Surveyor/functional manager in reviewing and assessing against the programme taking corrective action and re- prioritising as appropriate
• Contribute to the development and maintenance of local and national stakeholder engagement to build effective relationships in support of the management of the Defence Estate
• Responsible for assurance in relation to contracted out delivery of LMS programme and advice.
Support customers in managing and operating within their delegated budgets.
It is essential that the successful applicant has Experience in all aspects of General Estate Management of a wide and varied commercial portfolio:
• Landlord and Tenant – lease negotiations, rent reviews, lease management, tenant relations.
• Valuations – freehold and leasehold.
• Rent and debt management
• Estate utilisation and rationalisation
• Property Transactions – release of covenants, application of clawback, easements, wayleaves.
Please use the CV section of the application form to detail any relevant experience relating to the above.
Post holders will be required to travel to the sites covered by the post on a regular basis and some visits may involve overnight stays. Some sites are difficult to access via public transport.
About our Team
The DIO is the MoD’s expert adviser and enabler on infrastructure matters. It is tasked with equipping Defence with a significantly smaller more efficient, better quality estate.
The Estates Division brings together the Acquisitions and Disposal, Land Management Services , Projects, Infrastructure Optimisation, Safeguarding, Planning, Accommodation Optimisation and Byelaws teams. It helps underpin MOD’s operational capability by delivering a comprehensive, strategic and uniquely varied estate surveying service in support of Military outputs, both in the UK and Overseas.
LAND MANAGEMENT SERVICES (LMS)
LMS are accountable and responsible for the delivery of prioritised & agreed regional (UK and Overseas) and national DIO Estates programmes & projects against the DIO Business Plan & to support Military Capability. Estates deliver a comprehensive estate surveying, SME service to all areas of DIO business including Accommodation & the Training Estate, in the UK & overseas & external stakeholders. Delivery is via in-house service delivery teams of Chartered Surveyors & experienced technical support staff, with limited support from Industry Partners. This includes demonstration of effective stewardship of the defence estate & discharge of Department of State responsibilities