Ordnance Survey has an opportunity available for a Product Designer (Consumer) to join us based in Southampton. You will join us on a full time, permanent basis and in return, you will receive a competitive salary of circa £42,000 per annum plus benefits.
For more than 225 years, Ordnance Survey has helped people explore Great Britain. Today, we’re inspiring even more people to get outside more often. We build products, tools and services to make it easier for everyone to have an active outdoor lifestyle – helping you live longer, stay younger and enjoy life more.
Our iconic leisure maps are available on paper, mobile and desktop to help make outdoor activities more enjoyable, accessible and safe. Every day we’re developing new innovative navigation features including ground-breaking 3D mapping, augmented reality guides and GPS devices. With the rapidly-growing and award winning GetOutside initiative, we’re inspiring people to find new places, create lasting memories and discover the great British countryside.
We offer fantastic benefits to the successful Product Designer (Consumer):
- Competitive salary plus performance related bonus
- A great pension scheme
- 25 days annual leave (30 days after five years) bank holidays and an extra three days over Christmas
- Flexible working
- A wide range of other flexible benefits and an active sport and social scene
About the Product Designer (Consumer) role:
If you’re an ambitious Product Designer with a passion for the outdoors and a desire to create products consumers love, this is a fantastic opportunity to play a key role in the future success of an amazing organisation. Working alongside our product managers as an internal start-up, you’ll help build on our range of multi award winning (did we already mention that?) mobile applications, disrupting the outdoor sector and using well designed technology to reinvent people’s love and passion for outdoor activity.
- You’re hungry and ambitious; you may have worked in a start-up or in the leisure or gaming sector and have a strong understanding of UX / UI, a desire to continually improve the value that products bring to consumers and a keen interest in cutting-edge tech.
- Undaunted by a challenge; this is a wide ranging role; we have some ambitious plans for our existing products as well as a for a range of new disruptive applications and websites to truly help deliver on our vision ‘to help more people to GetOutside more often’.
- You understand the importance of product design; you understand that the user experience is as important to customer value as the underlying functionality; you’re all over UX but have an eye for UI allowing you to work quickly intertwining new models of interaction with the visual design.
- You’re never satisfied; constantly striving for improvements, you have an eye for the detail that carves the difference between good and great.
- A collaborative team player; you will work closely and at pace with the current product management team, ensuring the sharing of best practice, championing the customer both within the consumer team and the wider business.
- You love being outside; we try to live our brand and our mission so if you prefer the couch to conquering the hills or exploring then this role is probably not for you.
What we are looking for in our ideal Product Designer (Consumer):
- A passion for outdoor activity and adventures coupled with a desire to really make a difference
- Strong credibility in product design within a focus on mobile and digital solutions
- Relentless customer focus and proven capability of delivering excellent UX / UI
- Strong knowledge of and proven track-record of data-driven decision making
- Comfortable with a range of different prototyping tools
- Experience in agile working
- Excellent data interpretation and analytical skills
- Great communication and influencing skills
- Experience of working with remote teams
- Working knowledge of outdoor consumer products and market
Closing date: Wednesday 28th August
Sound enticing? Help us to inspire and activate a healthier nation through a cutting-edge range of products focused on making outdoor activity more enjoyable, accessible and safe – please click ‘apply’ today to submit your application or to find out more about the Product Designer (Consumer) role, we would love to hear from you.