Zephyr Future Approvals Manager
Description of the Job
Are you ready to help define the future of the stratosphere?
A vacancy for a Zephyr Future Approvals Manager has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space at Farnborough.
The Airbus Zephyr is a record breaking High Altitude Long Endurance solar-electric powered remotely piloted aircraft system (RPAS) capable of persistent operations in the stratosphere over many months. Zephyr has held the world record for the longest unrefuelled airplane flight since 2010 and after continuous development, the system is now poised to demonstrate its full potential. This is your opportunity to be part of an exciting programme at the leading edge of global RPAS & High Altitude Pseudo Satellite (HAPS) operations.
Working with senior international and national stakeholders, you will be required to enable airspace, safety (airworthiness) and operating approvals for Zephyr operations at three levels:
* Influence emerging regulatory and air traffic management requirements to enable safe and cost-effective Zephyr operations
* Develop a strategy for Zephyr approvals to assure future operational capability in response to business needs
* Deliver near-term approvals to enable specific Zephyr operations across a number of countries, locations and airspace boundaries
At the forefront of the RPAS & HAPS market definition, this role is fast-paced, hands-on, and requires a proactive and open-minded approach with a willingness to challenge conventional thinking.
The successful candidate will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance.
Tasks and Accountabilities
Outline Job Profile
Working with engineering and regulatory authorities you will be responsible for:
* Building strong relationships with international regulatory authorities and customers to challenge conventional thinking and lay the foundations for Zephyr approvals aligned with novel technology and concepts of operations
* Supporting business development teams to devise viable approvals solutions to meet customer and internal requirements
* Working with design and operating teams to maintain an ambitious approvals roadmap for Zephyr services and capabilities
* Achieving business sign-off for approval deliverables
* Architecting and delivering approvals solutions to enable timely service start-up
* Staying abreast of emerging technologies, regulations and stakeholders for stratospheric RPAS
This role will involve considerable business travel.
Skills & Experience:
Essential skills and experience
Successful candidate must demonstrate the following skills and experience:
* Well-developed collaboration and relationship-building skills at senior level and, preferably, in an international environment
* Broad experience in regulatory approvals covering both operational and technical domains
* Track record of leadership in cross-functional teams across multiple locations, languages, markets and working styles
* Strategic and innovative thinker with proven capability to influence both internally and externally
* Experience at senior level within a regulatory environment with a demonstrable delivery track record
* Ability to define, develop and deliver complex multi-stakeholder programs in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
* Proven ability to assimilate and apply knowledge of complex and novel technology
Desirable skills and experience
Successful candidates will demonstrate many of the following attributes:
* A broad, preferably international, network within the aviation and RPAS domains
* Experience in dealing directly with aviation authorities at senior level
* A broad knowledge of the latest developments and regulatory changes in the RPAS and wider aviation domains
* A good understanding of national and international air traffic management, airspace and flight rules as they pertain to high-altitude RPAS operations
* Sound knowledge of risk management, airworthiness and safety engineering in an operational aerospace application, preferably including the JARUS SORA methodology
* Broad industry and academic knowledge in RPAS and satellite technologies
* Sound knowledge of aviation training and competence management as applicable to RPAS
* Knowledge of satellite operations and service delivery
* Knowledge of global climate and meteorology in the context of high-altitude RPAS operations
* Project management experience and a track record of delivery to time/cost/quality
* Ideally you should be at least degree qualified in a relevant technical subject with Chartered status or equivalent