Job Title: Construction Development Programme - Gas & Electricity
2020 Construction Development Programme
Do you have attention to detail, high standards on quality and a collaborative approach with people? Prefer to be out on site than in the office? The Construction Development Programme offers the opportunity to join our Construction team as a Trainee Project Supervisor. This training programme will provide training on-site andin the classroom over an 18month period to enable you to confidently challenge the quality and safety of schemes of works on live construction sites from electricity substations and overhead lines to gas compressorterminals and pipelines.
Capital Delivery (Construction) manage hundreds of construction projects across the country – we manage the contractor delivering the building work on site. The Project Supervisor is the key client representative on-site working closely with the site contractor to ensure safety, quality and schedule expectations are maintained to National Grid’s high standards. Is the contractor building to our high standards safely? If not, can you challenge the Site Manager constructively and work collaboratively to get the work done to our standards?
During the programme you’ll have the opportunity to develop technical knowledge along with project, contractand stakeholder management skills. You will gain on-site expertise and specialist experience of the energy sector, building solid foundations for your career in the Construction industry.
There has never been a more exciting time to join the Construction team. We will be investing £1 billion overthe next 3 years, delivering major projects that will secure the energy supply for future generations. This team is central to these projects as we refurbish and replace existing infrastructure to focus on sustainableconstruction for the future and developing alternative technologies.
What are the entry requirements?
* HNC/HND, ONC or BTEC level 3 in a Construction or Engineering discipline AND relevant work experience;
* Degree in Engineering, Construction, Project Management or Quantity Surveying AND relevant work experience;
* NEBOSH Level 4 AND relevant work experience;
* SMSTS AND relevant work experience;
* A full driver’s license.
This position will require regular periods away from home.If you’re interested in applying, you should hold one of the qualifications listed above in addition to relevant work experience in a Construction, Engineering, military or operational role.
What are the benefits?
* A starting salary of £30,660;
* Current salary at end of programme - ~£36k;
* Company car;
* Competitive pension scheme;
* 25 days’ annual leave.
The classroom-training is typically based at our Training Centre in Eakring, Nottinghamshire and will require you to spend Monday – Friday away from home for a portion of the scheme. The role itself requires a lot ofdriving to sites across your region – you must be prepared to travel and stay away from home as and when required.
The locations we are recruiting for:
Electricity – Substations/Overhead Lines
* South West (Bristol)
* London (Outer M25)
* South East (Kent)
* North (Leeds/Manchester)Central (Midlands/Wales)
Gas – Compressor Stations/Pipelines
* HS2, Peterborough/Huntingdon Compressor Build or Didcot (Midlands)
Dependant on the location you choose in the pre-screening question on application, if you’re successful for the scheme you will be trained in that specific discipline i.e. Didcot location is specifically recruiting trainees tocomplete the Gas technical training programme.
1. Stage 1 – Make your application
2. Stage 2 – Telephone Interview with a site supervisor (late November – early January)
3. Stage 3 – One day Assessment Centre (dates shown below)
* Midlands (Gas) - 14th January 2020
* Central/North (Electricity) - 16th January 2020
* London/South East (Electricity) - 21st January 2020
* Bristol/South West (Electricity) - 23rd January 2020
4. Stage 4 – Offers and onboarding (February – end of March)
5. Stage 5 – Start and pre-site Training (14th April 2020 – mid May)
Assessment Centres will include an interview, group task and a live-site tour.
The start date for this programme will be 14th April 2020 and due to the popularity and high applicationnumbers, we begin recruiting in November for an April start. If successful, you must be able to commit tostarting on this date.